The Gillings School of Global Public Health is ranked by US News and World Reports as the number one public school of public health in the United States. Our faculty, staff and students solve some of the most pressing health problems in North Carolina and around the world. At Gillings, we conduct novel, innovative research that changes public health practice, influences policy and improves the quality of people’s lives. The Research, Innovation and Global Solutions team is a catalyst for public health solutions at the School. Serving all 8 departments and programs at the School, we work to accelerate solutions, both globally and locally, across three main areas of focus: research, innovation and entrepreneurship, and programs funded by the Gillings Gift.
The level of pay starts at $15 per hour. Working 40 hours/week starting mid-May through mid-August, the Graduate Research Assistant contributes to four of the Team’s principal functions:
Public Relations & Communications
Develops content and distributes information important to SPH faculty, staff and students in a timely and accurate manner through various media channels including the SPH weekly news, website and social media as needed.
Helps design, develop, plan, organize, mobilize resources and motivate attendance for events and activities related to our mission.
Contributes to our unit’s efforts to stay up to date on current practices, trends and opportunities to which we should be aware. Examples include research funding opportunities, legislative and policy-related matters of importance, and pan-campus activities and initiatives.
Captures, curates and analyzes relevant data sets for transformation into meaningful and useful information related to productivity, trends and faculty expertise within the School. Products include reaccreditation materials, quarterly progress reports, Gillings program reports and capacity statements related to our faculty expertise.
The GRA also provides general miscellaneous office support as needed.
Minimum Education and Experience: Relevant Bachelor’s degree required.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
- Demonstrated experience in academic research
- Strong initiative to ensure work products and solutions that are on time and to a high standard
- Understanding and sensitivity to diversity and cultural differences; ability to work effectively with diverse individuals
- Proficiency using Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint; experience with Qualtrics; WordPress website management
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills; graphic design experience is preferred
- High integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Capacity to perform in the fast-paced, high-profile, complex environment of a public university
- Excellent judgment and people skills, including an appreciation of the pressures and responsibilities of faculty, students and staff in a public university
To apply: Email cover letter, resume or CV, two (2) references to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 12, 2017.