Note: This position is filled and no longer available.
There’s no place on earth quite like Carolina! Here at UNC Visitors’ Center, our mission is to connect visitors with our extraordinary university and tailor each visit to the interest of our guests. As the “front door” of UNC for campus visitors, we serve over 30,000 individuals per year. From K-12 students to senior citizens, from our own campus community to visitors from around the globe, UNC Visitors’ Center is the gateway to discovering the history, innovation, and access that define Carolina’s identity today. Our goal is to be certain that each visitor takes with them a true sense of what our treasured University is all about.
UNC Visitors’ Center staff ensures customer satisfaction by providing exceptional customer service. The Graduate Tour Guide & Communication Specialist position is responsible for conducting campus tours and providing up-to-date information, directions, referrals, history, and overall quality of experience. Staff at UNC Visitors’ Center must be talented, creative, enthusiastic, and ready to welcome, assist, and tour visitors. Staff should possess a desire to develop their people skills and to learn how to think on their feet. Most importantly, they must be excited to be a Carolina Tar Heel!
This position offers the opportunity for graduate students to interact with current and prospective graduate students, share Carolina’s campus with them, and work directly with graduate programs and departments to provide materials, information, and resources. This position involves a variety of office projects to foster skills in several areas, including graphic design, journalism, marketing, research and strategy. A strong knowledge base of Chapel Hill and campus history is essential to this position. To this end, the Graduate Student Tour Guide & Communications Specialist will be provided with in-depth training before receiving their tour certification. Training will be held before classes begin; guides MUST be available to arrive on campus by August 16 to complete certification.
- Promptly greets, orients and guides customers, ensuring all customer needs are being met.
- Serves as a quality tour guide for graduate students providing an engaging, authentic Carolina experience
- Initiates, designs, and researches new projects of UNC Visitors’ Center
- Abides by and adheres to all applicable center policies and procedures
- Additional responsibilities as required
- UNC Visitors’ Center is open Monday – Saturday, 9 am – 5 pm
- Ability to work at least 6 hours a week, with at least a 3-hour uninterrupted time span
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Desired Qualities for Employees
- Curious and creative, seeks out learning opportunities, self-motivated
- Has a passion for Carolina and Chapel Hill
- Well-spoken and effective communicator
- A people person
- Collaborative, energetic & dynamic
- Ethical, trustworthy, fun!
For questions about this position and to apply, please contact the Graduate Student Manager at email@example.com