The Applied Physical Sciences (APS) department at UNC-Chapel Hill seeks a graduate student to manage web content, social media communications, and a variety of marketing and communications projects for The APS department and BeAM makerspaces. This student will keep the websites lively and current, help to broadcast the mission of the APS department and BeAM initiative to a growing audience, help to develop a communications strategy and social media presence, and assist the department with projects as needed.
- Create and manage web content as appropriate for APS, BeAM and CHANL websites and, eventually, social media channels that is relevant to specific target audiences, including current and prospective undergraduate students, current and prospective graduate students, alumni, faculty and the overall university community, as well as makerspaces and materials science departments around the country.
- Assist the APS communications group to develop a communications strategy that promotes the research efforts of the department and publicize it through blog posts, video, and appropriate social media channels. Create flyers, posters, newsletters, and other print or digital documents as needed to publicize events.
- Once social media channels are developed:
- Schedule and plan social media posts to add fresh content regularly throughout the year.
- Track and respond to constituent interactions on social media, when appropriate.
- Analyze the appropriate social media data/metrics to assess growth and effectiveness of each platform; generate ideas to increase engagement; and research effective social media strategies at other universities or relevant institutions.
- Identify and promote relevant events on social media.
- Excellent writing, copyediting/proofreading, online research and interpersonal communication skills
- Comfort working both independently and closely with other team members
- Experience with writing and creating web content, blog posts, social media, and/or multimedia content
- Experience managing web content using WordPress
- Experience using LinkedIn, Facebook, Google+, YouTube and related communication tools to reach targeted audiences
- Experience managing social media for an institution, organization or business
- Comfort using the Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop and Illustrator
- Graphic design experience
- A knowledge of basic marketing principles
Position Details and Schedule:
This position is a Graduate Assistant position, with a salary of $4,320 per semester. The start date will depend on the availability of the selected applicant. The position requires 15-20 hours of work per week during the academic semesters for a doctoral student or 12-15 hours a week for a master’s student. Hours are generally flexible; however, you will be expected to attend occasional events and meetings on campus as assigned.
Please send a complete resume/CV and brief cover letter explaining your qualifications for the position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline: August 1, 2018.
For more information about Applied Physical Sciences, visit aps.unc.edu.
For more information about BeAM, visit beam.unc.edu.
For more information about CHANL, visit chanl.unc.edu.