PART-TIME DATA ENTRY ASSISTANT
Reports to: Alumni Engagement Coordinator
Last Updated: April 2019
The data entry assistant is a detail-oriented team member who is responsible for ensuring the accurate and timely entry of alumni data into the Foundation’s two databases according to the organization’s preferred style guidelines. This position will primarily focus on information received from online update campaigns, but he/she may also be asked to assist with updates from other sources (e.g., returned mail pieces, donations, emails to staff, in-person meetings/events, etc.). This person may also be tasked with personal outreach to alumni in order to obtain updated contact information, and/or conducting research (e.g., via LinkedIn, general web searches) to find relevant information.
This teammate also ensures consistency of information between the two databases through a monthly “roundtripping” process. This process requires transcribing data from a digital report into data entry fields, correcting any errors or entries that do not conform to preferred style guidelines, and using thoughtful judgment in discerning old from new information.
Responsibilities include the following; other duties may be assigned.
- Become familiar with Morehead-Cain’s preferred style guidelines and be able to apply these guidelines to all relevant data entries
- Enter accurate and properly formatted information about Morehead-Cain Alumni into relevant data fields
- Complete entries in a timely manner and keep data as up-to-date as possible
- Conduct regular “roundtripping” of information between databases
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and/or Experience Required
- Four-year undergraduate degree
- Experience with Microsoft Office, including an intermediate proficiency with Access and Excel
- Typing speed of 40 to 80 words per minute
- Physical Demands
- An employee must be able to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Advanced proficiency with Access and Excel
· Typing speed of 80 to 120 words per minute
· Experience with development, fundraising, and alumni relations is a plus
CORE COMPETENCIES FOR THIS POSITION
· Strong planning and organizational skills
· Strong communication skills, both written and oral (clarity, brevity, spelling, and grammar)
· Absolute attention to detail
· Personal authenticity, dignity, and an ability to forge sincere relationships with fellow staff members and all Foundation constituents, particularly the alumni
· An appreciation and respect for the Foundation’s history, mission, values, and brand
· An appreciation for and understanding of the University and the Carolina Way
· Expertise in information technology, particularly in database management and reporting
· Effortless quality service skills
· Creativity, intelligence, dependability, optimism
· Ability to make good decisions
· Ability to work well independently and as a good teammate
· A great sense of humor
Possible Additional Duties
· Enter accurate and properly formatted information about undergraduate Morehead-Cain Scholars into relevant data fields
· Review database records of non-alumni and non-scholars (e.g., parents, friends, counselors, etc.) for errors and proper formatting; as necessary, correct these records using Morehead-Cain’s preferred style guidelines
· Assist with the proofing and formatting of large internal mailing lists (e.g., Year-in-Review, holiday cards, development appeals, etc.)
· Assist with an ongoing project focused on updating and streamlining the Foundation’s database records for organizations
· Assist with a digitization project of documents and photographs from the Foundation’s 75-year history
· Monitor inventory of office supplies and Morehead-Cain collateral
· Assist with batch uploads of event attendees into the database
SCHEDULE AND COMPENSATION
· Position is anticipated to be 15-20 hours per week; hours can be scheduled anytime between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday
· Compensation is $20 per hour
· We hope to fill this position as soon as possible and to have it continue through the end of the summer
· Our offices are located on campus, in the east wing of the Morehead Planetarium building
If interested, please email a resume and cover letter to Emily Olson at firstname.lastname@example.org.