About the award
The Carolina Women’s Center (CWC) is offering two research awards to UNC-Chapel Hill doctoral students for their gender-based research. Graduate students must have coursework completed and be engaged in the dissertation process. Two awards of $5,000 each will support dissertation projects that address topics related to women, sex, gender equity, and/or all intersections of gender.
Research projects may focus on a wide range of questions. For example, they might explore any of the following:
- Gendered identities and experiences, including but not limited to femininities, masculinities, and gender non-conforming identities and experiences
- Intersectional analyses of gender
- Differences based on sex
- Difference and diversity within and between categories
- Gender equity and gender equality
Projects might also bring a gendered analysis to bear on topics seemingly not connected to gender. Projects should clearly articulate how they fulfill this requirement. Applications from doctoral students in all units of the University are welcome.
E-mail CWCawards@unc.edu for an application form.
Submit the following materials in an e-mail titled “GRAD STUDENT DISS RSRCH AWARD” to CWCawards@unc.edu by November 30, 2019:
- The completed application form
- Double-spaced narrative of no more than 1,000 words describing the dissertation project, its guiding gender-related questions, its relationship to existing scholarship, and anticipated project completion date
- CV of no longer than 3 pages
- Letter of endorsement from your advisor/dissertation chair (sent separately from advisor/chair to CWCawards@unc.edu)
Requirements of award winners
Award winners must make a public presentation about their project or work-in-progress (usually during the following fall semester) and write a column about their work for the CWC newsletter.