The Carolina Union creates safe, inclusive, and educational experiences that enable students to maximize their time at Carolina. The many co-curricular programs, services, and facilities supported by the Union are developed and operated with a focus to serve the students whose fees fund our organization and therefore are intended to impact the intellectual and experiential climate of the University and provide opportunities for campus members to engage in debate, conversation, interaction, and learning. Managed by 44 full-time staff and over 185 student employees, the Carolina Union builds a sense of community as a unifying force on campus and provides students the space and resources needed to put theory into practice.
Student Life & Leadership
The Office of Student Life & Leadership (SLL) consists of Carolina Leadership Development (CLD), the Student Organizations Office, Student Activities including the Carolina Union Activities Board (CUAB), and Assessment & Student Development, as well as serves as the primary advisors to Student Government. SLL consists of eight full-time staff, three graduate coordinators, and a number of undergraduate coordinators. Our vision for the Office of Student Life & Leadership is to empower and transform students, staff, and faculty to create positive, sustainable change within our communities.
The position will serve as the coordinator for Late Night Orientation and Summer Activities. Late Night Orientation is a summer program held by the Carolina Union for students participating in orientation. The program provides incoming students a variety of entertainment in an effort to help build relationships with one another and to begin connecting students to the university. Additionally, Summer Activities supports the Carolina Union Activities Board with summer programming for current students. This position will be assigned various projects that will help the Carolina Union Activities Board with assessment initiatives, program planning, training, and other opportunities as needed. This position will also supervise undergraduate students to plan programs for the Carolina Union Activities Board.
- Plan and execute activities that take place during Late Night Orientation events (including set-up/take-down, venue details, working with contract entertainment, etc.)
- Partner with the Carolina Union, New Student and Family Programs, Student Life & Leadership, and the Carolina Union Activities Board staff to implement Late Night Orientation
- Coordinate collaboration and communication among the Carolina Union departments in support of Late-Night Orientation
- Coordinate Late Night Orientation volunteers and SLL Orientation Ambassadors
- Advise and support the summer programming for the Carolina Union Activities Board, specifically supervising 2-4 undergraduate students
- Manage the summer programming budget of $20,000-$40,000
- Collaborate and develop curriculum for the CUAB Fall Training
- Serve on the Fall Fest Involvement Committee
- Participate in Student Life & Leadership team meetings, training, development programs, and other professional development activities
- Work on assessment activities directly correlated with CAS standards for Student Activities, Late Night Orientation, and the Carolina Union Activities Board
- Work with various campus offices to promote campus-wide involvement opportunities to incoming UNC students
- Network with other departments within the Carolina Union to gain a better understanding of union operations within a large, public school setting
- Other duties as agreed upon
Terms of employment
Enrollment: The Graduate Coordinator must be currently enrolled full-time in a graduate program that emphasizes higher education administration and/or student affairs leadership
Period of employment: May 25-July 31, 2020 (dates can be negotiable)
Remuneration: Summer Graduate Coordinators will be paid a stipend of $2,500 for the summer and housing will be provided in a campus residence hall, along with partial meal plan
E-mail the following as one Word or PDF file:
- Cover letter
- 3 professional references (e-mail and phone number requested)
Applications should be e-mailed to Student Activities Program Coordinator for Student Life & Leadership Sarah Levine at email@example.com as soon as possible. The position will remain open until filled.