The UNC Visitors Center is looking to hire one graduate student for the Spring 2021 semester.
About the position
There’s no place on earth quite like Carolina! The UNC Visitors Center connects visitors with the University and tailors each visit to the interests of our guests. As Carolina’s front door, the UNC Visitors Center is the gateway to discovering the many stories and hallmarks of our extraordinary university. Along with introducing guests to the innovation, impact, and accessibility that define Carolina’s identity today, our goal is to ensure that each visitor takes with them a true sense of what Carolina is all about. The Visitors Center opened its new home on Franklin Street this fall. This new location brings many opportunities to interact with guests in exciting ways.
The UNC Visitors Center staff ensures guest satisfaction by providing exceptional customer service. The graduate student tour guide and communication specialist position is responsible for conducting hour-long campus tours that focus on the graduate student experience at Carolina. The position is also tasked with providing visitors with up-to-date information, directions, referrals, and history. UNC Visitors Center staff must be creative, enthusiastic, and ready to welcome, assist, and tour guests. As a representative of the Visitors Center, the University, and The Graduate School, the staff member will also receive UNC Visitors Center apparel to wear during each shift. Most importantly, they must be excited to share with visitors all that makes Carolina special, highlighting the many ways graduate students are connected to and involved with Carolina.
The expected time commitment for this position is 15-20 hours/week at a rate of $15/hour. The position will begin in January 2021 and end in May 2021.
- Conduct one-hour guided walking tours of campus for prospective, accepted, and admitted graduate students, when in-person tours resume
- Conduct 30-minute live Zoom campus tours for prospective, accepted, and admitted graduate students
- Provide an up-to-date schedule for tours based on class schedule
- Assist in growing the partnership between the UNC Visitors Center and The Graduate School
- Assist in updating the graduate tour script as needed
- Support the Visitors Center’s daily operations through:
- Promptly greeting, orienting, guiding, and meeting guests coming for graduate tours
- Helping to maintain the physical appearance and cleanliness of the Visitors Center
- Facilitating administrative tasks
- Initiate, research, and develop new projects for the Visitors Center in partnership with The Graduate School and other graduate programs across campus
- Abide by and adhere to all applicable Visitors Center policies and procedures
- Additional duties and responsibilities as required or assigned
- Work during the UNC Visitors Center’s hours of operation, Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
- Ability to work at least six hours a week, with at least a three-hour uninterrupted time span
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Attend all-team meetings, to be held bi-weekly or monthly
- Adherence to Visitors Center dress code, including wearing official UNC Visitors Center apparel
- Ability to walk across campus for a one-hour guided walking tour
Desired qualities for employees
- Excellent customer service skills
- Well-spoken and effective communicator with strong public speaking skills
- Ability to multi-task and independently problem-solve
- Self-motivated individual who takes initiative
- Collaborative, positive, and dynamic
- Adaptability to changing hours and conditions
- Passionate about Carolina and Chapel Hill
Interested students should submit a cover letter and resume to Rhonda Beatty, Director of the UNC Visitors Center, at email@example.com by January 19, 2021.