About the Office of Student Life & Leadership
The Office of Student Life & Leadership (SLL) consists of Leadership Development, Student Organizations, Student Activities that include the Carolina Union Activities Board (CUAB), and Assessment & Student Development. The SLL also serves as the primary advisor to Student Government and the Graduate and Professional Student Federation. SLL consists of eight full-time staff, three graduate coordinators, and a number of undergraduate coordinators. The vision for the Office of Student Life & Leadership of the Carolina Union is to empower and transform students, staff, and faculty to create positive sustainable change within our communities.
About the position
The Graduate Coordinator will aid in the execution of leadership development program as well as marketing and communications efforts for the Office of Student Life & Leadership.
This position is expected to begin on August 1, 2021 and end May 31, 2022 (the end date may change based on student status and graduation). The Graduate Coordinator is expected to work up to 25 hours per week and a total of up to 525 hours between August 1 and December 31, 2021 and 525 hours between January 1 and May 31, 2022. It is expected that Graduate Coordinators maintain office hours up to 25 hours per week with flexibility allowed for weekend and evening programs. With supervisor approval, Graduate Coordinators can work more hours per week to provide flexibility to take time off during student breaks or less hours per week to support academic requirements. The Graduate Coordinator will be paid bi-weekly at a rate of $15.75 per hour.
Leadership development (30%, 7.5 hours)
- Contribute to the creation and implementation of engagement and leadership development activities for Graduate and Professional Students
- Assist in the assessment and tracking of leadership development programs and initiatives
- Co-instruct leadership development academic courses
- Assist in large-scale leadership program planning and marketing, including Leadership Week, Carolina United, and LeaderShape
Marketing and communications (45%, 11.25 hours)
- Lead the development of communication strategies for the office, working with staff members to ensure branding guidelines are met, and the mission is at the forefront
- Review and provide feedback regarding all department copy, layouts, and proofs prior to presentations or printing
- Develop external communications resources for students, faculty, and other professional staff
- Serve as a liaison on behalf of SLL for cross-promotional opportunities with Communications and Creative Services as well as University Communications
- Work with SLL staff members to develop communications strategies for programs and internal initiatives
SLL General and supervision (25%, 6.25 hours)
- Supervise the social media coordinator(s) within the office, training and advising based on established communications plan and assisting in monitoring social media accounts
- Attend all Pro-Staff Meetings
- Supervise, train, and evaluate the Co-Curricular Student Leadership Coordinators
- A graduate student at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Experience organizing and managing multiple tasks with changing deadlines and priorities
- Demonstrated experience managing and tracking projects independently
- Understands concepts of multiculturalism and diversity and how they impact marketing and communications
- Demonstrated personal qualities; sound decision making, creativity, organization, time management, diplomacy, and integrity
- Evidence of drive and initiative as demonstrated by personal experiences and previous employment (must be a self-starter)
- Excellent writing and grammar skills
- Experience posting to professional social media environments, Adobe Creative Cloud products and photography is a plus
- Preferred programs of study: communications, journalism, business, or related fields
Interested students should apply via Heel Life with a resume and cover letter.