The Applied Physical Sciences department and the BeAM makerspaces at UNC-Chapel Hill seek a graduate student to join our communications team. The role requires someone who can create compelling stories of the accomplishments of our students, faculty and alumni, develop short testimonial videos, and design graphics to promote APS and BeAM. This graduate assistant role will help to broadcast the mission of the APS department and BeAM initiatives to a growing audience, will continually improve our communications strategy, and assist APS and BeAM with marketing & communication projects as needed.
- Create and manage content as appropriate for APS and BeAM target audiences, including current and prospective graduate/undergraduate students, alumni, faculty, potential donors and the University community, as well as makerspaces and materials science departments across the United States. Content will include stories of accomplishments of our students, faculty and alumni, and the work will include coordinating interviews with these individuals.
- Design, develop and disseminate the quarterly APS external newsletter.
- Assist APS and BeAM to continually improve our communications strategy to promote our mission.
- Create flyers, posters, newsletters, and other print or digital documents as needed to publicize our courses and events.
- Develop, post, and curate short video testimonials of faculty, student and alumni successes. This work will also include developing an APS and BeAM video strategy and host platform.
- Excellent writing, copyediting/proofreading, and videography skills.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Videography skills to create and edit short testimonial videos.
- Experience using the Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop and Illustrator, or equivalent software.
- Comfort working both independently as a self-starter and with team members.
- Experience creating, writing and editing promotional stories.
- Experience using LinkedIn, Facebook, Google+, YouTube and related communication tools to reach targeted audiences.
- Attention to accuracy and to deadlines.
- Experience writing for an institution, organization or business.
- Graphic design experience
- A knowledge of basic marketing principles and good marketing judgment.
Position Details and Schedule
This position is a Graduate Assistant position with a salary of $18/hour and requires up to 20 hours of work per week during the academic semesters. Hours are generally flexible; however, you will be expected to attend occasional events and meetings on campus as assigned. This position will be mentored and supervised by the APS Associate Chair for Departmental Initiatives.
Please send a complete resume/CV and brief cover letter explaining your qualifications for the position to firstname.lastname@example.org. The application will be open until the position is filled.
For more information about Applied Physical Sciences, visit aps.unc.edu.
For more information about BeAM, visit beam.unc.edu.