Program Start Date: January – December 2023 (can be flexible within this time frame)
Work Hours: 40 hours per week
Location: South San Francisco
Length of Assignment: up to 4-years
Education Level: Recent graduates of a doctoral program (e.g. PhD, MD/PhD, MD) or in final year of doctorate. Recent graduates are defined as being within three years since graduating from a doctoral program.
Preferred Majors/Disciplines: Biology, Biochemistry, Biomedical Engineering, Biomedical Science, Cell Biology, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Data Science/Bioinformatics, Microbiology, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Pharmacology, Toxicology or other related disciplines
Genentech’s world-class biomedical research organization is launching a new set of postdoc openings aimed at identifying top scientific talent, independent of a specific job posting for a given Genentech scientist’s lab. Applicants are provided the freedom to select three potential Genentech postdoc mentors that they are most interested in working with in order to propel the next stage of their scientific career.
Our existing postdoc hiring process will also continue, wherein students can apply for specific openings, however this new approach enables students to apply for a postdoc position in any Genentech postdoc mentor’s lab. We plan to offer this type of postdoc opportunity during a limited time-frame on an annual basis.
Deadline to apply: Sunday July 31, 2022 5:30pm (PDT). Application located on website.
- Recent or pending PhD, MD/PhD, MD graduate in a relevant field of science
- Graduate student applicants should be within 12 months of completing their PhD. Applicants who have completed their graduate degree within the past 3 years are also eligible.
- At least one first-author research publication in a peer-reviewed scientific journal or currently in press.
- A demonstrated ability to think critically, work independently, and solve complex problems
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, as well as strong interpersonal skills
Please follow the instructions below carefully.
- Bundle Your Application Materials into a Single PDF. We do NOT want separate attachments, please bundle your CV and Cover Letter into one single PDF when applying.
- Title Your PDF “First Name_Last Name_Postdoc_Application” (e.g. Paula_Fellow_Postdoc_Application).
- Additional Materials. Please do not send in any additional materials than the CV & Cover Letter stated above, they will not be considered and will slow down the evaluation process.
CV to include:
- Previous research, educational and other relevant experiences
- Full publication list, including “ in-press” and recently submitted papers
- Contact information for three professional references
Cover Letter (1000 words max) to address the questions below in order:
Start each section of your cover letter with the appropriate heading and number of the question that you are addressing (e.g. #1 Personal Statement, #2 Mentors, etc.). We ask that you do NOT write your cover letter in the typical biographical essay format, instead follow the guidelines stated above.
1. Personal Statement: of your background and interests (400 words max)
2. Mentors: Identify three Genentech postdoc mentors that you are interested
in doing research with and why (200 words max). View our eligible postdoc
3. Potential Project: write a brief description of a potential project, set of
scientific questions or experiments that you would be excited to pursue at
Genentech (200 words max)
4. Overcoming Obstacles: Tell us about a time when you overcame a
challenging obstacle in science, career or life; and what you did to address it
(200 words max)
For all other inquiries, contact: email@example.com