Makerspace Summer Graduate Research Assistantship (with possible extension through May, 2018)
We are looking for graduate students who are available to work this summer, and preferably can continue working through the 2017-2018 academic year.
A 5-10 hour/week graduate student research assistant position is available for the period June 1, 2017 through July 31, 2017 in the Kenan Science Library (G301 Venable Hall). Hours are between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Pay is $668.21 per month (for 10 hours/week; no tuition reimbursement).
The Kenan Science Library Makerspace is part of the University Libraries’ Research Hub and the BeAM (Be a Maker)@Carolina network. It enables UNC students, staff, and faculty to explore emerging technologies and fosters a creative community of makers and making. The Makerspace provides access to 3D design tools, 3D printing, 3D scanning, electronics & soldering, and sewing. See some of our projects on our website.
- Staff the Kenan Library Makerspace
- Responsible for opening and closing the library and checking out books and technology when full-time staff are not available
- Responsible for daily 3D printing operations
- Provide consultations on 3D design and scanning
- Assist with the operation and maintenance of equipment in the Kenan Makerspace
- Teach small group workshops
- Assist with outreach events, documentation, communication, and assessment
- Other projects as assigned
- If UNC student in the Spring 2017 semester, must be registered in Summer School and/or pre-registered for the Fall 2017 Semester.
- If not UNC Student in the Spring 2017 semester, then must be registered for Summer School.
- Aptitude for learning and troubleshooting new technologies
- Ability to teach workshops and conduct demonstrations
- Flexible; adaptable; comfortable with experimentation and self-directed learning
- Ability and enthusiasm for working with the public
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and on a team
- Ability to manage multiple projects
- Experience with any of the following: 3D printing, 3D scanning, design software, electronics, soldering, textiles/sewing, prototyping, crafting
- Teaching experience
- Graphics, photography, or web design experience
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please send a cover letter and resume to:
SUBJ: Makerspace Graduate Assistant