About the Coalition
The Orange County Affordable Housing Coalition (OCAHC) is an association of non-profit housing developers, social service providers, advocacy groups, and local government partners working together to provide housing opportunities for all in Orange County, NC. Their mission is to foster collaboration among providers and advocates to support affordable housing development and preservation in Orange County.
OCAHC was established in 2013 to highlight the needs and opportunities for increasing housing affordability in Orange County and to foster communication and collaboration among housing providers and advocates. Since that time, the coalition has expanded to meet the growing need of housing in the Orange County community.
About the position
OCAHC is seeking an intern who will help refine the mission of the coalition and set strategic priorities for the future of the coalition by facilitating focused conversations and turning these conversations into clear written guidance that will be utilized to clarify the coalition’s purpose and processes. The intern will also provide additional support to OCAHC on a variety of tasks during monthly committee and subcommittee meetings. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Participate in monthly OCAHC meetings, taking and distributing minutes (second Friday of every month from 9:00-10:30am)
- Facilitate group discussions and interview individual members to further define the mission and future of the coalition
- Research best practices of other housing coalitions nationally
- Determine the role of advocacy within the coalition’s efforts
- Develop a concise, public-facing document articulating the mission, vision, and values of the coalition
- Create a more robust infrastructure for sharing documents and organization communications among members
- Make occasional updates to the OCAHC website; no web design or coding skills are required
The position is expected to be a commitment of 6 hours/week for a wage of $20/hour. The intern will be mentored by Jennifer Player, CEO and President of Habitat for Humanity of Orange County. Work can be accomplished remotely during the pandemic. Weekly mentor meetings will be scheduled at the convenience of Jennifer and the student. The position will begin in September 2020 and end in April 2021.
- Believe that housing is a human right, and be committed to supporting the activities of a coalition that advances just and equitable practices
- Be a UNC graduate student in City and Regional Planning, the School of Government, Public Health, Public Administration, Social Work, Occupational Therapy, or a related field
Interested students should submit a resume and cover letter to Jennifer Player at firstname.lastname@example.org. Priority will be given to applications received by September 14, 2020.
People of color, people with disabilities, women, and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly encouraged to apply.