About the position
The Applied Physical Sciences department at UNC-Chapel Hill seeks a graduate student to manage web content, social media communications, newsletter and a variety of marketing and communications projects for the APS department and BeAM makerspaces. This graduate assistant role will keep the websites lively and current, help to broadcast the mission of the APS department and BeAM initiative to a growing audience, continually improve their communications strategy and social media presence, and assist the department with communication projects as needed.
This position is a Graduate Assistant position, with a salary of $4,320 per semester. The start date will depend on the availability of the selected applicant. The position requires 15-20 hours of work per week during the academic semesters for a doctoral student or 12-15 hours a week for a master’s student. Hours are generally flexible; however, you will be expected to attend occasional events and meetings on campus as assigned.
- Create and manage content as appropriate for APS, BeAM and CHANL websites for target audiences, including current and prospective undergraduate students, current and prospective graduate students, alumni, faculty, potential donors and the University community, as well as makerspaces and materials science departments around the country.
- Assist APS to continually improve communications strategy that promotes the research efforts of the department and publicize it through blog posts, video and appropriate social media channels.
- Create flyers, posters, newsletters, and other print or digital documents as needed to publicize courses and events.
- Work with faculty and graduate students to develop stories around successes like publications, fellowships, grant awards. Publish the stories on the website.
- Social media (Twitter) and LinkedIn:
- Schedule and plan social media posts to add fresh content regularly throughout the year.
- Track and respond to constituent interactions on social media, when appropriate.
- Analyze the appropriate social media data/metrics to assess growth and effectiveness of each platform; generate ideas to increase engagement; and research effective social media strategies at other universities or relevant institutions.
- Identify and promote relevant events on social media.
- Excellent writing, copyediting/proofreading, online research and interpersonal communication skills.
- Comfort working both independently and with team members.
- Experience writing and creating web content, blog posts, social media, and/or multimedia.
- Experience creating and managing web content using WordPress.
- Experience using LinkedIn, Facebook, Google+, YouTube and related communication tools to reach targeted audiences.
- Highly responsive to high priority requests and ability to make progress on requests in a timely manner.
- Experience managing social media for an institution, organization or business.
- Comfort using the Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Graphic design experience.
- A knowledge of basic marketing principles.
Send a complete resume/CV and brief cover letter explaining your qualifications for the position to Heidi Harkins at email@example.com. The application will be open until the position is filled. However, they would like to hire before the start of the academic year so that the current communications assistant can train the incoming GA.